Tuesday, January 9, 2018

TV Review: The Bold Type

I recently discovered the Freeform show The Bold Type.  I had seen the trailers for the show a few weeks before I decided to finally watch it.  My initial impression was that the show would some how be similar to Ugly Betty.  To be honest, I thought it would be Ugly Betty meets Sex and the City.  Despite my thoughts about the trailers, I thought I would give the show a chance, and soon learned the truth - it is not even close.  Note: spoilers, although minor, ahead:

The Bold Type is about three friends who work at a women's magazine firm called Scarlet.  The three girls are Jane Sloan, Kat Edison, and Sutton Brady.  In the pilot episode, Jane went from being an assistant to being a writer.  Kat is in charge of the social media department.  Sutton is an assistant who wants to work in the fashion department.  The show also explores both their work lives and their personal ones.

A few minutes into the pilot episode, I was hooked.  I was curious as to how Jane would handle the new pressure and environment her promotion brings.  While Kat defends an article Scarlet was gutting because the photographer decided to back out of at last minute.  Unlike Jane and Kat, I was not impressed by Sutton.  At least, not until the end.  Sutton has great work ethics, but I disliked the "forbidden" work romance between her and one of Scarlet's lawyers.  However, after seeing her stand up for herself and tell the truth, which she realized not long before, that she wants more.

I still have a few episodes to watch before I am caught up.  I highly recommend The Bold Type.  It airs Tuesdays nights on Freeform.

Here's a link to the official trailer: https://youtu.be/q9Evo8pJTV0

No comments:

Post a Comment